Finding a reliable and easy-to-use peer-to-peer payment system is not as easy as falling off a log. It’s more difficult in the case where you’ve hundreds of options, such as Venmo and Zelle. Though they are great payment getaways, yet no one wants to use both together.
That’s when almost everyone thinks about some questions like Venmo vs. Zelle: which is the best one? Which app offers the best features, and what is the difference between Venmo and Zelle?
If you’re looking for the answers to similar questions, then you’re at the right place. Below, we’ll compare Venmo and Zelle’s features, services, prices, pros, and Cons. So, read this article till the end and know which service is best for you.
Venmo Vs. Zelle: Overview
Venmo and Zelle are both famous and used by millions of users. However, recognizing them does not mean that you can’t choose one service between them. Yeah, it is a little bit difficult, but you can do this with the help of our guide.
Venmo is one of the top leading online payment platforms in the United States. It is a famous digital wallet; according to Statista, it has more than 50 million users.
It is owned by PayPal, which is a renowned company worldwide. You can easily send or receive payment in the US through the Venmo app.
Furthermore, some famous companies like Uber, J. Crew, Hulu, etc., that support Venmo as a payment method means you can buy any service, goods from them by using Venmo.
Zelle is also a famous digital payment network. Though it is new and founded in 2017, that’s not mean it is not a good option. Instead, it’s also a trustworthy platform.
You can gauge Zelle’s popularity through the data that, according to the company, they recorded 1.2 billion transactions worth $307 billion in 2020. You can use the services in two ways, the first is by using the Zelle official app, or the second is your bank app.
Though both payment gateways are good and offer the same services, they still have so many differences like their service charges, transaction time, and so forth. Knowing these differences may help you choose the right payment solution.
That’s why we’ve done in-depth research to present a comparison of Zelle vs. Venmo. And the good thing is you only have to scroll down the page to find out the differences and the advantages and disadvantages of using Venmo and Zelle.
|Venmo is not a completely free service.
|Zelle is a free payment gateway.
|You’ve to pay extra to send money in 30 minutes.
|You can send money anywhere in the US in some minutes.
|Through Venmo social feed, your friend can like, comment, and send the sticker on purchase.
|Zelle does not offer social feeds.
|You can use a credit card for payment.
|You can’t use a credit card for payment.
|You can buy services or goods from the stores (that support Venmo as a payment method).
|You can’t purchase anything online through Zelle.
The cost of any service is an important aspect that can change a person’s mind about the product or service. After all, no one wants to pay a lot for money transactions.
To show you a clear picture of Venmo vs. Zelle, we’re going to share the service cost of both products. So, you can choose the right one for yourself.
Venmo does not charge when you transfer the money through your linked US bank account and debit card. However, if you think that it is entirely free, then it’s not the case. Instead, if you’re using a credit card, you’ll have to pay a 3% extra fee.
Zelle does not charge a penny; yes, you read it accurately. If you’re sending or receiving money through Zelle, then you don’t have to worry about any charges. Zelle recommends confirming your bank about bank charges.
Safety to Use
Your bank data and information are personal. And connecting an app to your bank account can be risky for your personal and banking data. So, if you’re thinking of whether Venmo and Zelle are reliable companies or not, then it’s completely okay.
That’s why below we’re going to share whether Venmo and Zelle are safe or not.
First of all, you must understand that everything on the internet, whether a website or app, is not entirely safe. There’s always a chance that someone (a hacker) can breach the security.
When nothing is safe, then can you trust Venmo? Yes, you can. It’s not that it is entirely safe, but overall it is secure.
The company uses bank-level encryption for the safety of user’s data. Other than that, multi-factor authentication is also a great feature that makes Venmo a secure payment gateway.
According to the company, Zelle is safe, and the data of users is also secure. However, if you don’t want to trust Zelle’s official app, you can use Zelle through your bank app. You don’t have to share your information with the Zelle app making Zelle a safe payment gateway.
- Venmo is an excellent way to send and receive money in the US.
- It offers an easy-to-use mobile application.
- You can sync all the contacts to the Venmo app.
- It offers a master debit card which you can use anywhere in the world.
- Many well-known brands like uber, Hulu, etc., offer Venmo as a payment method.
- It is free, but only if you send money through the bank, debit card, or prepaid card.
- Your friends can like and comment on your purchases and transactions.
- It supports all US banks. You can connect your bank account, credit, or debit cards.
- It is a payment gateway; you don’t have to pay a penny to send or receive money.
- You can send money to any person who has a bank account in the US.
- It also offers an app that you can download from the play store or app store.
- You can also use Zelle by using the official app of your US bank.
- You can connect your bank account to Zelle.
- It is not a social platform like Venmo and does not offer social feeds.
- A person doesn’t need to wait days to receive money as you can send money in minutes.
- You have to pay an extra fee of about 1.5% to send money instantly in an hour.
- Otherwise, you’ve to wait one to three days for a bank transfer.
- Venmo is a trustable way for personal transactions, not for business transactions.
- If you want to send money through a credit card, be ready for an extra 3% fee.
- It does not support international transactions.
- You can’t cancel the transaction because there is no option for it.
Is Zelle Faster Than Venmo?
Yes, Zelle is way faster than Venmo. If a user of Venmo wants to send the money without any charges, he has to wait one to three days. Otherwise, he has to pay an extra 1.5% fee to transfer money in 30 minutes.
At the same time, a user of Zelle can send money to anyone instantly, typically in minutes, without any charges. The bottom line is, Zelle is undoubtedly a winner when it comes to transaction time.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Is Zelle safer than Venmo?
No app is entirely safe; there’s always a chance of security breach. However, Zelle is a little more secure than Venmo because you don’t have to use the official Zelle app. You can use Zelle services through your official banking app.
What’s better, Venmo or Zelle?
Both Zelle and Venmo are better for different situations. If you’re looking for a free payment gateway that works fast, then Zelle is good. Otherwise, Venmo is an excellent option for people looking for a digital wallet suitable to purchase services and goods.
Why shouldn’t you use Venmo?
Venmo charges an extra fee for credit card transactions (3%) and instant transactions of about 1.5%. Otherwise, you’ve to wait one to three days. Moreover, it is suitable for personal transactions, not for business purposes.
Which banks use Venmo?
If you live in the US and have a bank account, you’re eligible to use Venmo. It supports US bank accounts, their Prepaid, credit, and debit cards.
Can I get scammed on Zelle?
Though Zelle is a safe payment gateway, make sure you send the payment to a trustworthy person. Be careful before adding the details because you can’t reverse the payment.
Does Zelle charge a fee?
No, Zelle does charge any fee for receiving and sending money.
Zelle and Venmo are both suitable but for different situations. For example:
- If you’re looking for a fast payment gateway, then Zelle is best.
- Venmo is an excellent solution to buy services and goods online.
- Zelle does not charge any fee while you’ve to pay for the fast transactions in Venmo.
- You can get a VISA credit card from Venmo, while Zelle does not offer it.
Hopefully, now you’ve got the answer to the question Venmo vs. Zelle, which is best? But if you’ve still any queries in your mind about the services, you can ask them in the comment section. Let us know how we can help you.